Friday, February 27, 2009

"Girls Night Out"

If single girls say they want to go out, whether to a movie, dinner, a bar or a club, they just plan it and go. They don't need to put a title to their evening out and begin planning it for weeks, and make sure that their friends put it down in their monthly planner. The term "girls night out" was created by women married to controlling husbands who needed some way of justifying getting out of the house. And let me be even more clear that it is usually for married, stay-at-home moms. If we were working moms, we would conveniently be busy till 7 or 8 at night every now and then, and meet our friends at happy hour. Right? Or, are working moms still expected to get home right after work and have dinner ready for their family?

"Girls Night Out." Out where? It depends on the type of women we're talking about. For instance, when I belonged to the Mom's Club here, most of the women wanted their night out to be at someone's home: a movie night in pj's, scrapbooking, exchanging cookie recipes...you get the idea. Other women are content with a movie and possibly squeezing in an appetizer somewhere.  Remember, most moms limit their time out because they feel obligated to feed the kids and get them ready for bed before they leave. Then, there are the women (like me)  that like to hit the town on their night out.  Hey, if you're going to have a one-night-a-month pass, why not live it up?! ( Granted, I have stretched that to 2 nights a month, big deal ). My husband feels safe and comforted knowing I am at someone's house eating cookies and sharing stories about our kids. Being at a bar or club on my night out is troublesome for him. For me, it's a chance to catch up with my girls, and meet new people. Sure, I like the attention, but I'm not out to "pick up" a new man. I just like being part of the scene and checking out all the new places.

I'm not sure about other husbands, but I believe it's threatening to many of them to have their wives out at night without them. They get so used to having us fit into this convenient little box, and when we open the box and climb out, they don't know how to handle it. I realize we married girls need to tread lightly...men are a sensitive breed in general, But, Please, As long as we get a little compliment now and then, a smattering of romance and affection, they have nothing to worry about. But, if we don't.....LOOK OUT!


No comments:

Post a Comment