Monday, May 11, 2009

All I Want For Mother's Day Is....

Yesterday was Mother's Day. Two days before, I received a large box at the door. It was a beach bike cruiser! I had been talking about wanting one for the last month since I don't use my mountain bike very often...they're not the easiest bike to just hop on and cruise the neighborhood with the kids. I thought it was very sweet that my hubbie ordered one and he worked the evening before mom's day and the next morning assembling it. It is super cute...creamy yellow with pink flowers and a big wicker basket for the front. I love it!

Okay, so the present is adorable and thoughtful. But, I didn't get any special treatment that morning...in fact, it seemed to be just like any ordinary Sunday morning. My husband went for an early run, came back hot and sweaty and went to work on assembling my bike which seemed to kinda stress him out. My son, however, walked into my bedroom, woke me up ( because daddy didn't tell him, " Let mommy sleep in."), and gave me his adorable card he had made me in school. It made me melt. He was anxious for me to get out of bed to see my bike come to life, so I dragged myself out at approximately 8:30 ( which, by the way, is sleeping in, but I can always use a little more time). Little did I know that I would become Daddy's little helper in the fabrication of my gift! I'm sorry, but I wasn't having any fun. I finally had to graciously bow out of my service to brush my teeth and rinse my face.

The rest of the day was enjoyable due to my mother's hard work and love of taking care of her family. She had balloons and a beautiful cake, and an amazing breakfast ready to go when we arrived. We all went swimming and had a relaxing day, I even squeezed in a nap. After a yummy dinner which was another meal she worked hard to prepare, we headed home. When we got the kids and ourselves to bed, I asked for a wee little massage of my neck and shoulders. But, you see, my husband was tired and didn't feel like it so, I had to remind him of what day it was because even though it was nighttime, the special day was not over yet. A 30 second massage followed. For all you men out there, 5 minutes should be the absolute minimum. I know it's not fair to ask when you're about to pass out, but I think I just wanted to end my mother's day with the slightest token of affection.

My point is...gifts are wonderful and considerate, but I've decided that getting out-of-the-ordinary, tender loving care is all I really desire on Mother's Day.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting blog. I can see both sides of this...the wife's AND the husband's.

    The husband felt that putting your bike together was THE most important thing to do for you on Mother's Day. It was HIS expression of his love for you. He was focused and goal orientated and wanted it completed on that day...for you. Men are like that - Pragmatic, detail orientated and goal driven. Men are not aware of the "frilly" things of life.

    You, on the other hand, wanted an emotional & physical connection with him...and a little bit more sleep!

    It's true - Men are from Mars and women are from Venus.

    Above all else, express your love and respect of him and tell him how great the bike is and recognize all his hard work that went into building it. Consider this a learning experience.

    And when next year rolls around, tell him the only things you want are 1)to sleep in; 2) receive a 30 minute massage from him; 3) fill in the blank.

    If you tell men exactly what you want, you'll most likely get it. Men are just that way.

    Good Luck - and keep in blogging!

    ReplyDelete