Friday, March 13, 2009

Music Of Our Lives

I was thinking about all the songs, singers and bands that evoke memories from literally every event in our lives. Every time I hear something that brings about one of those times, it puts a smile on my face. I'm not sure I have any songs that would remind me of a bad experience which I suppose is a good thing. I am now going to attempt to go back, to recall some of those moments...this should be fun!

Puff the Magic Dragon (story book and album): Sitting on the floor of our music room with my brothers listening and following along with the book. "Puff, the magic dragon, lived by the sea..." 1970

The Partridge Family, The Osmonds and The Jackson 5: Anyone who grew up with these groups, knows you have to lump them together. Going door to door in our neighborhood in Clearwater, Fla., selling 5 cent tickets to come see our band sing in our music room. All of our neighbors were 70 yrs. or older (they were my peeps)...we always had a packed house! I was lead singer, my brothers played guitar and drums. 1973-75

The Carpenters: I wanted to be Karen Carpenter, so my Dad bought me a drum set. (Am I alone in this, girls? Come on, admit it)! 1973

Elton John, Greatest Hits Album (1974): My half brother, Bobby, would bring his album collection when he visited.  I heard this album for the first time with him...in fact, when we picked him up at the airport, he was wearing the same white suit and hat that Elton was wearing on the cover, along with white patent leather shoes. He was quite flamboyant, and I thought he was the coolest (turned out, he was gay, but that's another story).

"All By Myself, " Eric Carmen: My dad used to bring home a new 45 record of his favorite song each week, and we would lay down on the floor of our music room with our heads pressed against the speakers. Those were great moments I shared with my dad. 1970-76

The theme song from "Rocky" : We moved to Philadelphia in 1976, the Bicentennial, and the same year "Rocky" opened. I was crazy for "Sly."

Paul McCartney's "Venus and Mars" album: I used to sit up in my room with my tape recorder ( remember the rectangular ones with the small speaker) and record my lousy voice while singing along to this album. 1976-79

"I Got You, Babe," Sonny and Cher: My family used to take numerous road trips with our collection of 8 tracks...this is one of those songs that got the whole carload singing! Of course, their show was watched every week, as well. 1970's

"Stayin Alive," Bee Gees: The movie, "Saturday Night Fever," provoked me to have a life size poster of JT above my headboard. 1977

Journey, any and all songs: My sophomore year at Clearwater High School. Riding in my friend, Ralph's red convertible antique mustang singing "Lovin, Touchin, Squeezin" at the top of our lungs. 1981

Jimmy Buffett: Again, my sophomore year. A group of us hung out at a dive bar , The Bikini Lounge, on Clearwater Beach. We used to play pool, drink beer and sing Buffett songs...man, those were the days! Mind you, the drinking age was 18, but somehow we all got into the bars back then. 1981

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Probably the cruelest I've ever been to anyone... a few of us filled up water balloons and loaded into the back of my friend's pickup truck and waited outside a girl's house. After her doorbell was rung and she appeared on her doorstep, we barraged her with the balloons while yelling profanity. Can't tell you why we did it, but I feel bad about it. I'm sure she's never forgotten the incident. Tom Petty's cassette was playing at the time. (Well, that would be one unpleasant memory. Although, I still love his music) 1981

"Hotel California" : My first slow dance; 7th grade, the boy had thick puffy hair(come to think of it, so did my boyfriend in college). 1977

Beach Boys: First concert without my parents. Dad dropped my friends and I off at the front. 1978

Gladys Knight and the Pips: First concert with my parents. Lots of stylin black people dancin in the aisles...purple velvet suits and platform shoes stand out in my mind. 1974

"Lights, " Journey: I cried to that song when I was told my parents were moving us from Clearwater to St. Louis. I loved my friends and life in Florida and didn't want to change high schools again. 1980

Southern Rock...Molly Hatchet, Lynard Skynard, Tom Petty, Journey, Bob Seger and more: When I moved to St. Louis, everyone I met listened to R&B. I remember opening my bedroom windows and blasting these albums on my stereo to let the whole neighborhood know that I had arrived,and this was what cool people from Florida listened to!! 1980

The Police: Going to the concert in crazy punk rock type clothes with my concert going buddies from high school. My outfit was black and white striped and I wore chunky brightly colored plastic jewelry. The sad thing was that I also wore that to school thinking it was fashionable and cool! (1982)

Flock of Seagulls: Senior year spring break, Daytona Beach, Fla. Dancing in the clubs...behaving badly. What senior in high school who goes away for spring break doesn't? 1982

Squeeze, "Black Coffee In Bed" : Freshman year, Arizona State. My roommate, Chris, from Denver listened to Michael Jackson and she had never heard Squeeze before...I turned her on to them, and clove cigarettes! 1982

"Hello," Neil Diamond: My first love was in college.. This was our song...and Blue Nun was our wine. 1983

"Take a Look at Me Now," Phil Collins: I cried all the way from Tempe, AZ to Newport Beach listening to this song and thinking of my ex love of my life. That was our first break up...we had many more after that. The other breakups didn't lend themselves to special songs or much crying. 1983

Neil Diamond, "Hot August Nights": Hanging out in my Pledge Dad's room with our roommates listening to Neil songs, and trying something for the first time that arrived in a manilla envelope from California. It was white and made a small mountain when placed on his mirror.

Frank Sinatra: Same scenario as above.

"Do You Know the Muffin Man" : Late night at Mark and Ron's house...I had a broom and was sweeping their front entry while singing this song over and over and over (someone gave me something that made me VERY happy). 1985

"Groove is in the Heart" : Clubbing in my 20's around Newport Beach." NYC" was a favorite! 1991-95

Dwight Yoakam: When I dated my husband, a Wyoming boy, he used to crank Dwight in his bedroom and sing in my ear. I thought he was charming! 1994

Gypsy Kings: I went to their concert with my brothers while visiting the States from Saudi Arabia. I danced the entire show; it was liberating ( after being in a fairly depressed country for 3 years)! 1998

Fast forward to the present...so many more I could think of but I will include just one last song: "The Monster Mash." My kids were born on Halloween in 2002 which happens to be one of my  favorite occasions each year.

























































































No comments:

Post a Comment